Personal Injury Law FAQs

The Most Frequently Asked Questions from Accident and Injury Victims

At De Rose Lawyers, we want to ensure you’re educated throughout your entire legal journey. It is important to us that you fully understand your predicament and the options available to you. To help, we’ve listed some common personal injury questions you may have.

Choosing A Personal Injury Lawyer

How does De Rose Lawyers help accident and trauma victims?

A serious accident can happen to anyone, changing you and your family’s life forever. Although you may feel overwhelmed by the emotional trauma and financial distress that your personal injuries have caused, you are not alone. At De Rose Lawyers, we fight for the care, compensation and support you deserve.

Through compassionate understanding and specialized expertise, we guide our clients throughout their entire legal journey, and beyond. Learn more by visiting our About Us page.

What makes De Rose Lawyers different?

With 40 years of combined experience, De Rose Lawyers helps people dealing with serious personal injuries, catastrophic accidents, and traumatic brain injuries get their life back on track. Through compassionate understanding and specialized expertise, we support our clients throughout their entire legal journey, and beyond.

De Rose Lawyers will guide you through the complex legal, medical and insurance related issues to help alleviate stress, and only involve you when necessary so you can focus on recovering from your traumatic brain injuries.

Additionally, beyond fighting for your justice and a fair settlement, we believe it is our responsibility as your personal injury lawyer to help you discover the local health organizations and government resources that can assist you with healing physically, and emotionally.

Where are you located? What cities do you serve?

To better serve our clients, De Rose Lawyers is conveniently located at two locations:

  • De Rose Lawyers Toronto
    1280 Finch Ave. West, Suite 508
    Toronto, Ontario, M3J 3K6
  • De Rose Lawyers Hamilton
    20 King Street West, Unit B
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, L8G 1G8

Both locations have parking available and are wheelchair accessible.

However, if you have been injured and are unable to make it to our offices, our team would be more than happy to meet wherever is convenient for you including your home, hospital, or rehabilitation center.

We proudly serve the greater Toronto area including: Ajax, Barrie*, Brampton, Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton*, Kingston*, London*, Markham, Mississauga, Newmarket, North Bay, Oshawa*, Ottawa*, Peterborough, Pickering, Sault Ste Marie, Scarborough, Stoney Creek, Sudbury*, Timmins, Toronto*, Vaughan and Whitby, Windsor

Learn more by visiting our Contact Us page.

What types of personal injuries do you help people get compensation for?

With 40 years of combined experience, De Rose Lawyers helps people dealing with serious personal injuries, catastrophic accidents, and traumatic brain injuries as a result of pedestrian, automotive, motorcycle, bicycle, and slip and fall accidents.

We also help clients with statutory accident benefits and long term disability denials. Whatever you’re struggling with, we are here to help. Learn more by visiting our Personal Injury Law page.

I do not have any money to pay for legal representation. Can you still help me?

Yes! De Rose Lawyers will represent you without seeking payment until you receive compensation. Our fees are based on the amount of your settlement or the time we devote to your care as well as other factors. These matters will be discussed with you at the start so that you understand and feel completely comfortable with what you will be expected to pay.

What languages do you speak?

We offer service and support in many different languages to suit our clients’ needs including: English, Italian, Spanish, Ukrainian, Russian, Portuguese, Filipino, Tamil, Farsi, Punjab, and Hindi.

What should I expect from a lawyer/law firm?

When searching for a personal injury lawyer, be sure that you choose a law firm and a lawyer that is solely dedicated to practicing personal injury law. The firm should have a team-approach, qualified accident benefits specialists, and law clerks committed to your case.

A lawyer should be willing to meet with you and your family at your home or hospital when going to their office proves difficult. Your initial consultation should be a no obligation meeting. A lawyer should be able and willing to answer all of your questions.

You should feel confidence in the lawyer you choose. With 40 years of combined experience, De Rose Lawyers is prepared to provide the compassionate support and fight for the compensation you deserve.

Understanding Your Personal Injury Claim

I thought I was fine after my accident, but now I am in pain. What should I do?

Injuries may not always be discovered immediately after an accident. This does not mean your injuries are not compensable. It is always in your best interest to contact De Rose Lawyers immediately following an accident.

How and when should I talk to the insurance company?

In order to claim accident benefits, you must notify your auto insurer or broker and provide them with information in support of your claim. Usually, the insurance company will send an adjuster to meet with you and discuss the collision. You must be aware that anything you discuss with the insurance adjuster will be placed in your file and can affect you in the future. We are here to help.

Do I need representation if I suffer a personal injury from a motor vehicle accident?

Yes! Insurance adjusters are at an advantage over the average person who has little or no experience with the legal process of a personal injury claim. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer will ensure that you are properly represented during this stressful time in your life.

I need help to complete all these forms because they are confusing. Can you help me?

Yes! When you apply for accident benefits, your insurance company sends you many forms that you must be filled out prior to receiving any payment. We make this process easier by completing all your forms for you.

How long will it take to resolve my case?

There is no definite answer to this question. Each case is unique and has its own time frame. Contact us today for a consultation.

What can I get compensated for?

Compensation, otherwise known as damages, is awarded to those who suffered from another’s actions in a civil case. Damages are not usually punitive in nature, but they are meant to restore the victim back to their pre-injury status. Oftentimes, clients will be able to receive damages for things such as lost wages, medical costs, lawyer fees, and physical damages to property.

What benefits am I entitled to after a car accident?

If you are seriously injured in an auto accident in Ontario, Statutory Accident Benefits help pay for the expenses not covered by healthcare in order to treat you, replace your income, and more. Learn more by visiting our Statutory Accident Benefits page.

What are Statutory Accident Benefits?

If you are involved in a car accident, no matter who is at fault, Statutory Accident Benefits help pay for the expenses not covered by healthcare in order to treat you, replace your income, and more. Learn more by visiting our Statutory Accident Benefits page.

What types of benefits am I entitled to from my own insurance company?

There are different types of accident benefits that you can claim based on your specific circumstances. These include Income Replacement Benefits, Non-Earner Benefits, Caregiver Benefits, Medical Benefits, Rehabilitation Benefits, Attendant Care Benefits, Death Benefits, Funeral Benefits and Other Expenses.

Learn more by visiting our Statutory Accident Benefits page.

What types of injuries are considered long term disabilities?

Long term disability can take many forms. Physical disabilities include full or partial paralysis caused by a brain or spinal cord injury, or lingering afflictions like chronic pain. Mental injuries like PTSD, anxiety, and depression can also qualify you for disability benefits. Learn more by visiting our Long Term Disabilities page.

What long term disability benefits are available? What if my claim is denied?

If you can’t earn a living after sustaining a serious injury, you have a reason to submit a claim to your insurer. Most long term disability plans will replace 60% to 70% of your normal income. Learn more by visiting our Long Term Disabilities page.

While long term disability insurance is meant to provide financial assistance in order for you to live as healthy as possible, insurance companies will sometimes deny your claim. You don’t have to settle for this. We can help. Contact us for a long term disability consultation today.

Is there a particular time frame in place or deadline for me to make a personal injury claim?

Yes! There are important time frames in place which you must adhere to. They are as follows:

  • 7 Days – You must notify your auto insurance company if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident.
  • 10 Days – You must notify the municipality or province if you plan to make a claim due to a slip and fall on municipal property, or if there is a failure to keep municipal/provincial roads in a state of good repair.
  • 30 Days – Any injured person must complete their application for statutory accident benefits with their own auto insurance company.
  • 60 Days – This is the deadline to provide a Notice of Claim to the province prior to commencing a lawsuit against the provincial government.
  • 120 Days – Any injured person must place the potential defendants on notice of a claim if the injury claim relates to a motor vehicle accident.
  • 1 Year – This is the deadline to sue your own insurance company over a property damage auto claim.
  • 2 Years – This is the time by which an injured person must commence a lawsuit against all potential defendants.

What is the statute of limitations on an automobile accident?

The Ontario Limitations Act states that a victim has two years from the date of the automobile accident to file a legal claim. After two years, it is often too late to make a claim with your insurance provider or pursue legal action against the other party.

However, the law does allow for exceptions to this two-year limitation in very few cases. It is often best to make a claim on an automobile accident as soon as possible, because legal proceedings can sometimes take years to complete.

Who will take care of me when I go home from the hospital?

Once we meet with you in the hospital, we will complete all the necessary forms to submit to your insurer to get your claim going. We will arrange for an occupational therapist to complete an assessment for attendant care needs, as well as go to your home and assess it for any assistive devices that may be helpful.

We can arrange for transportation to take you to therapy and other medical appointments. Let us relieve you of the burden and stress associated with dealing with your insurance company so you can concentrate on your health and road to recovery.

Have More Questions? Book a personal injury consultation with us today.

We don’t charge any fees until your case is won or settled.

BOOK A consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers.

    You don’t pay until your case is won or settled.